leaving the drum line

I was part of the flag corps in high school. Each year we traveled with the band to participate in a large parade. Our band was exceptional, but crowd always came alive when the drum line kicked into high gear. The onlookers didn't understand that the drum line's primary function wasn't to perform flashy solos - which always garnered a great deal of attention and applause - but to keep us in time while we marched.

I have to admit it.  I loved it when the drummers showed off. All these years later, I still remember how much I envied their talent.

Image Source
It seems that drum-bangers are everywhere these days. Political, social, theological - there's a drum line for any cause out there. I've been quick to join them, pounding away as loudly as I could. Begging to be heard. Drowning out those around me. Trying to force them to follow my beat.


Lately I've been wondering if my banging has made me deaf to the cries of those around me. I have been content to debate, to look as if I'm concerned rather than to roll up my sleeves and show that I am. I can't give others a hand if I've got mine clinched around drumsticks.

Music is a gift from God. May I start using it to praise Him, rather than contributing to the worldly racket. I'm praying for the Lord's grace to lay my drum sticks down.

It is good to give thanks to the LORD,
to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
to declare your steadfast love in the morning
and your faithfulness by night,
to the music of the lute and the harp,
to the melody of the lyre.
For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work;
at the works of your hands I sing for joy.
-Psalm 92-1-4 (ESV)




Comments

Camille said…
I am SO enjoying your writing my friend...thank you for sharing your insights and giving little glimpses into your heart. Hugs to you! Camille

Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

What I Learned During My Social Media Vacation