weights and measures

There is a weight to this life; the responsibilities of being a mother, a wife, a daughter, a friend. I give them over to God, placing them on the scales and hoping against hope that they will equalize the balance.
Source

      Consider what I’ve sacrificed! 

     Notice how much I’ve loved! 

     See how hard I’ve worked! 

And still I come up wanting. No matter how much I seek to find my worth in the works I place in the tray, I can never measure up. My attempts to balance the scales are vain foolishness.

The words of Augustus Toplady reverberate in my mind.

Nothing in my hand I bring,   
Simply to the cross I cling; 
Naked, come to Thee for dress; 
Helpless look to Thee for grace.
-Rock of Ages


There is a weight to this life; the fallen world and my sinful nature nearly crush me some days. I wonder if I will be able to bear them much longer. Yet even as I anticipate the day when their heaviness will be lifted from me, I trust...

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
-2 Cor. 4:17-18

Every weight of this life is preparing me to bear a weight that cannot be measured, the glory of God.

Tim Challies asks:

So Christian, as you experience the weariness of life, as you pull yourself out of bed another day and feel the weight of fatigue pushing down on your shoulders, as you spend another day laboring at the task the Lord has given you, as you feel the pain of aging or the anguish of depression, as you mourn the loss of someone you love, as you feel the burden of your indwelling sin, as you are called to suffer for your faith if the Lord should call you to that…in all of these things, can you look to the future, to the hope of resurrection, to the hope of experiencing God’s presence, to the hope of the purest worship, to the hope of bringing glory to God?

The truth is, the scales will never be balanced. I cannot lay on or remove enough weight to move them the tiniest bit. But one day they will be tipped completely in my favor.  I will stand in God’s presence and feel the eternal weight of His glory, and the full weight of my works and the world will seem as light as a feather.

Hallelujah and Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

an evening ritual