Around the House: April

The long winter has finally loosened its grasp. Spirits climb with the temperatures. New life bursts forth in a bright rainbow of colors, yellowed by a heavy dusting of pollen. In these early days of Spring, I am

Reading some fantastic books, none of which were on my original list for 2014. Our Theology Reading Group didn't start until last week. While I'm waiting for the group to catch up with the topics I've already focused on in my extra-curricular reading, I'm enjoying some other titles: Authority by Martyn Lloyd-Jones (because I've never been disappointed by his writing) and Exodus: Saved for God's Glory by Philip Graham Ryken (because my pastor is preaching through Exodus).  In this season, I'm closing the day with Nancy Guthrie's Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter. I'll soon go back to Women of the New Testament: 30 Devotional Messages for Women's Groups by Abraham Kuyper.

Realizing that there is an inversely proportional relationship between the time I spend reading books and the enjoyment I find in social media.

Finding that limiting my social media consumption has many benefits. I confess that on my "unplugged days" I often find myself wondering what's going on in the virtual world. I'm praying God will stifle that curiousity and redirect it to ministering to my family and friends.

Noticing how much more intentional I am when I'm not concerned with social media.

Thinking that after my last two forays into fiction, I need to limit my reading to novels written before 1960. Contemporary works, for the most part, leave me wanting. I have found a few exceptions, but they are scarce.

Savoring sweet fellowship and community in our church home. We've just marked one year since we first visited this gathering of believers. I'm amazed at what the Lord has done by bringing us into this family, yet it has not been a perfectly smooth transition. Not living in the same physical community is a hindrance, an obstacle that is especially difficult to surmount when we're weary of driving. Building new relationships requires time and effort, which has been contrary to my impatient and introverted spirit. We're beginning to see the fruits, and I praise God for what He has wrought this past year.

Pondering this post written by my friend, Lisa. It was a great encouragement to me when she wrote it, as we were just coming into our small body of believers. It remains an encouragement today.

Adjusting to sitting in the passenger seat while my girl is in the driver's seat.

Rejoicing in the start of our Theology Reading Group. More to come on that later!

Checking out various cookbooks from the library in search of kitchen inspiration. Any ideas?

Still trying, by God's grace, to live a quiet and intentional life that brings honor and glory to Him.



Comments

twiga92 said…
I'm interested to hear about this Theology Reading Group! Love that stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

What I Learned During My Social Media Vacation