Theology Reading Group

When our Women's Ministry Team began talking about having a monthly discussion of Housewife Theologian: How the Gospel Interrupts the Ordinary, we were unsure of what to call it.

Bible study was obviously out, even though we use the book as a guide for a systematic study on the issues confronting women today; Bible study is just that, studying the Bible. (Jen Wilkin recently wrote a fantastic post about Bible study and Bible literacy).

Book club was also a misnomer. We wanted our time together, and the time spent reading between meetings, to be so much more than that.

I think we landed on book study because it was somewhere in the middle. (And it was late and we were tired.)

Then I read Eric Bancroft's post entitled "The Joy of Theology Reading Groups". Bancroft's words struck a chord in my heart, perfectly outlined my hopes for our group.

I wanted to see the people entrusted to my care know their God better and live lives reflecting joyful devotion to him. I wanted that for myself too. I also wanted to provide an environment where Christians would enjoy discussing truth and working out its implications together. In other words, the goal of a theology reading group is to get people reading, thinking, talking, and living in light of God's revelation.
And so we borrowed Bancroft's label. We formed a theology reading group.

I was flabbergasted at the response. One of our elders and his wife offered their home to us. Our pastor demonstrated his support, which was itself a tremendous grace to me. We had our first meeting earlier this month. As I gazed around at the faces of women in all different stages of life, I was struck by the goodness of the Lord. To see these ladies and teenage girls gathered to learn more about theology - to pursue, as Bancroft wrote, lives reflecting joyful devotion to him - warmed my soul. I was overwhelmed at such grace the Lord bestowed upon me by granting one of the desires of my heart.

To lead this theology reading group is both a privilege and a responsibility. I take neither lightly. The words of Titus 2:7 ring in my ears: Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity.

I pray that the Lord will enable me to be a woman of integrity and dignity for my family, my theology reading group, and in this space  - all for His glory.



Comments

  1. So happy for you Melissa. The Lord has sure answered your prayers over the past year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the next "TRG."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

hurt

weights and measures

a tale of two paths