community


My husband and I have been fans of American Ninja Warrior for several years now. I love the stories of the contestants and watching them conquer the crazy obstacles. More than that, though, I admire the community that long-time contestants have cultivated. They travel to encourage other contestants, stand on their side-lines and cheer, and even wear each other's shirts as a sign of solidarity. Even though they are all vying for a chance to advance and hopefully claim a large cash prize, they view each other as comrades rather than competitors. Many of them bring others in and train together.

As believers, such a community should be commonplace to us.  It's how the church should work.

How would the church look to the unbelieving world if we squelched our jealousy of others' gifts, talents, and opportunities? What if we left our comfort zones by choosing to stand and cheer one another? Can you imagine laying aside our agendas and pointing others to another believer instead? I am ashamed that I fail at this so very often. I get caught up in  my own ideas and plans. I don't stop to look at others who are pressing toward the goal as hard - if not harder - than I. I don't come alongside them and encourage nearly as much as I should.

My dear friend Lisa recently shared her perspective on small sized ministry. Like Lisa, I am privileged to be a part of a small church community. She challenged me to remember that small ministry is as valuable - if not more so - than large, public ministry. Small sized ministry has its drawbacks, but it does offer a sense of community that larger ministries do not. Lisa's words were also a wonderful reminder that reading and interacting with "famous" Christians online will never measure up to in-the-flesh ministry. Praying alongside a sister who needs me, sending a card in the mail, or chatting with several lovely older saints around a table - each is an opportunity to encourage others and to remind them (and myself) that this life is full of obstacles that can be conquered with the power of the Holy Spirit.

Not that long ago I invested quite a bit of time reading books about Christian community. I was desperate for it, but the Lord hadn't made my heart ready and the messages seemed foreign to me. It took a popular television show - and the Holy Spirit's work - to show me that cultivating community begins with me. May my fellow saints find that I'm an iron-sharpening encouragement to them, that I put their interests before my own, and that I stand to my feet and cheer loudly when they reach the top of that oh so intimidating warped wall.

Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

What I Learned During My Social Media Vacation