nourishment

One morning in late May I faced the reality that I’ve been a terrible steward of the body God has given me. I couldn’t deny it any longer. I knew I had to make a change. I divided my overall goal into smaller ones so that I can celebrate when I achieve each one. I let go of my pride and asked some friends to pray for me. I asked another to hold me accountable. I praise God for their faithfulness.

The past 7 weeks have been a learning experience full of ups and downs, but just as full of God's grace. I've nearly met my first goal. I look forward to exercise. I've never told myself I can't have something. I'm sleeping better. Most importantly, I'm feeling better.

I've discovered more about how my body works. I've been practicing intuitive eating. I tried different exercise until I found what works best. I created a program that is good for me. I don't expect it to work for everyone. God created us as unique individuals, which seems to imply that we cannot adopt a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition and exercise. What is best for me may be good, but not best, for you.  I'm learning that this is true in spiritual nourishment and exercise as well.

Each of us has different spiritual needs and gifts. Some of us do not have the time or resources to take seminary courses or read deep theological treatises. Some of us, no matter how much we try, may not be able to sustain a yearly Bible reading plan. Some find one chapter of God's Word a full meal, giving sustenance throughout the day; others may find a verse, a passage, or even an entire book offer the same benefit.

Just as my physical needs vary daily, so do my spiritual needs. I'm becoming more adept at listening to both. Some days I need more carbs to fuel my body. Some days I need more Bible input to fuel my soul. Other times I graze (and dream of charcuterie boards) throughout the day. Likewise, spurts of quick verses or spiritual encouragement may be enough for one day. On those days, I am more mindful that my intake - physical or spiritual - must be nutritionally rich.

In formulating my health plan, I quickly realized that I could not allow myself to feel guilty or inadequate for not pursuing a certain type of diet or exercise. I also realized that I could not reach my goal alone; I needed prayer and accountability. I needed a small cloud of witnesses to cheer me on to the finish line. The same is true for my spiritual health. A steady diet of God's Word, together with daily disciplines and accountability, are necessary for me to live a life that brings glory to my Creator.





Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

What I Learned During My Social Media Vacation