He is Faithful Indeed

...so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 
-1 Corinthians 1:7-9 (ESV) 

"God's faithfulness extends to that day, and beyond it into the fullness of eternity. He will keep his people guiltless in that day: i.e. when the secrets of men's hearts are disclosed and we might have had legitimate fear of being finally found guilty before him. God will ensure that absolutely no charge or accusation is laid against his people, whether by human beings or by Satan, the great 'accuser of the brethren' (Rev. 12:10)."
- David Prior (source)
Guiltless. As a believer in Christ, I have no reason to fear the Day of Judgment. Any time I'm tempted by Satan to start quaking in my boots at the thought, I must remind myself that I will be found guiltless on that day. Not because of anything I've done, but rather because Jesus will sustain me to the end.

God is faithful, but as His chosen one I have a responsibility as well. Prior sums it up,
"If we have been called to share in Jesus, let us abide in him - the only way of gradually becoming like him. When we have become like him through the grace of God continuously at work in us, it will be impossible for any guilt, or even cause for guilt, to exist."
 Yes, God is faithful to work in me. By his grace alone, I can abide in Christ and be guiltless. Proverbs 3:3 is an exhortation to this abiding: Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. 

The more I read the Word, the more I pray, the more I fellowship with other believers- the more I abide - the more I know of his steadfast love and faithfulness. They become part of me, and I become more like him. Then, on that day, I will fall on my face - not in fear, but in thankfulness and praise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Feeding the Frenzy

A Quiet Life

What I Learned During My Social Media Vacation